Re: [registrars] .net thick/thin discussion

  • To: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [registrars] .net thick/thin discussion
  • From: Larry Erlich <erlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:02:46 -0400
  • Cc: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, registrars@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There are  business reasons why
you would want to operate your own whois. But giving
up that, for example, you give up one more thing that
makes you more like a "reseller" for a registry and less
like a registrar.

What's next? How about if we just operate web sites with
links to the registry web site which handles all of the
transactions and pays a commision?

The "broken whois" reason can and should, as Bruce said, be handled
by enforcement.

I've noticed that certain registrars
handle their resellers by posting the name of the
"registration service provider" right in the whois.
Has anyone thought how this would be handled with
a thick model?

I prefer this:

Registration Service Provided By: eNom, Inc.
Contact: paul.stahura@xxxxxxxx
Visit:

Domain name: enom.org

Registrant Contact:
   eNom, Inc.
   DNS Manager (kelsie@xxxxxxxx)
   +1.4258838860
   Fax: +1.4258833553
   PO Box 7449
   Bellevue, WA 98008
   US

Administrative Contact:
   eNom, Inc.
   DNS Manager (kelsie@xxxxxxxx)
   +1.4258838860
   Fax: +1.4258833553
   PO Box 7449
   Bellevue, WA 98008
   US

(snip)
to this:

Domain ID:D3231451-LROR
Domain Name:ENOM.ORG
Created On:30-Oct-1998 05:00:00 UTC
Last Updated On:14-Nov-2003 00:14:00 UTC
Expiration Date:29-Oct-2007 05:00:00 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:R39-LROR
Status:OK
Registrant ID:876E360CB7A3B687
Registrant Name:DNS Manager
Registrant Organization:eNom, Inc.
Registrant Street1:PO Box 7449
Registrant City:Bellevue
Registrant State/Province:WA
Registrant Postal Code:98008
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Email:kelsie@xxxxxxxx
Admin ID:876E360CB7A3B687
Admin Name:DNS Manager
Admin Organization:eNom, Inc.
Admin Street1:PO Box 7449
Admin City:Bellevue
Admin State/Province:WA
Admin Postal Code:98008
Admin Country:US
Admin Email:kelsie@xxxxxxxx

(Machines of course prefer #2)

Next, the registry whois doesn't contain the
true "expiration" date. It currently contains
the auto renew expiration date.

So, with that issue it practically guarantees that
even with a thick model the registrar has to maintain
a parallel whois.

Of course if machine readability is an issue, there is no
reason that machine readable information can't follow the
human readable information that appears in a registrar's
whois.

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> I agree that a registry operator can technically operate a thick and
> thin model in parallel, and the choice can be made available to
> registrars according to their business model and technical resources.
>
> Jean-Michel,
>
> I agree that less code to maintain = less cost. I think that registrar
> selection between two registry-offered models can meet that goal.
>
> Eric

Larry Erlich - DomainRegistry.com, Inc.
215-244-6700 - FAX:215-244-6605 - Reply: erlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx