RE: [registrars] Marina del Rey Registrar Meeting - September 12

  • To: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>, <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Marina del Rey Registrar Meeting - September 12
  • From: "Elana Broitman" <ebroitman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:04:48 -0400
  • Cc: "Registrars" <Registrars@xxxxxxxx>, "Registrars Executive Committee" <rc-excom@xxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for the clarification.  Let me resend the meeting announcement, clarified!  Also, I've taken off any meetings that are not part of the formal agenda, again for clarification.

ANNOUNCEMENT OF MEETING IN MARINA DEL REY - SEPTEMBER 12

While we would encourage everyone to attend the next official ICANN meeting in Carthage, Tunisia on October 27-31, 2003, we have heard from many registrars that they are unlikely to attend.

In order to support registrar participation and foster dynamic discussion of issues, the Constituency has voted to hold an interim informal meeting on Friday, September 12th.  No decisions would be made at this interim meeting, so anyone unable to make it should not feel disadvantaged. Moreover, we will endeavor to set up telecommunication links.

Prior to the Constituency meeting - on September 11th, (a) registrars and registries (providers) participating in the ICANN Transfers Assistance Group and
(b) the GNSO Council Whois group will try to schedule meetings on those issues.  These are not constituency meetings, but the constituency will be updated on those issues on the 12th.

Additionally, some of the registries may offer to hold marketing presentations for registrars on the 11th.  We would encourage people to arrive on the 11th, so we will plan a social function as well.

The venue will be the Marriott in Marina del Rey.  We are securing special rates of $144/night and will provide contact details shortly.  Please let us know if you are attending by emailing the ExCom (cc'd here).

The meeting would be conducted in interactive workshop-style sessions where appropriate, with guest expert speakers invited for some of the topics. We will coordinate with the registry constituency, and hold a joint meeting for half of the day, and a separate constituency meeting for the other half.

The initial proposed agenda is below. Please send us any additional agenda item requests by August 15th.  Anyone proposing to speak should provide a presentation with a summary of no longer than 1 page

by September 8.

SEPTEMBER 11

* Registrar Constituency cocktails and/or dinner,  Time and Place TBD

SEPTEMBER 12

8:30-12:30 Joint Meeting with the Registries

* EPP - update on transition to EPP by all of the registries
      Briefing by the registries - Registry Representative
      Issues that may be faced by registrars - Registrar Representative
      Next Steps and Question/Debate Session

* Transfers - update on implementation of new policy
      Short Overview of implementation steps by ICANN
      Presentation by representative of each constituency to advisory group
      Next Steps and Question/Debate Session

* Whois - update on work of the privacy steering group
      Briefing on GNSO Council process - Representative of the steering group
      Briefing by ICANN on GAC role, initiatives and policies
      Briefing on CRISP
      Briefing on proposed interim solution to Port 43
      Next Steps and Question/Debate Session

* New TLDs - update on ICANN process for choosing new TLDs
      Short Overview of next steps by ICANN
      Briefing by the registries regarding ISP compatibility
      Next Steps and Question/Debate Session

12:30-2:30 Working Lunch with Registries to address specific topics

* WLS - update on service by VeriSign registry

* IDN - update on service to be offered in com/net/org/info

2:30-5:30 Registrar Constituency Meeting

* Meeting with ICANN staff - Paul Twomey, Dan Halloran, Ellen Sondheim (as available)

* Fraudulent credit card charge backs - risk sharing with the registries

* Registrar Constituency budget - review and discussion

* Registrar review of topics covered during joint meeting

Regards

Elana Broitman