Re: [ga] VeriSign lobbying expenses

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] VeriSign lobbying expenses
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:19:23 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ted and all,

  Thank you for providing this useful and enlightening information.
Let's also remember that lobbying of this sort is not illegitimate,
although it might ought to be.

  I also believe myself, that this is good evidence to indicate what
we of the GA need to be doing as well.  However that would
require we get busy collecting funds so we can have equal
access.  However Dr. Dierker our chair seems to be disinterested
in doing so.

Prophet Partners Inc. wrote:

>    "VeriSign (NASDAQ:VRSN) Inc., which manages online addresses, spent
> $570,000 in the first half of 2007 to lobby the federal government on
> Internet related issues, according to a disclosure form.
>
> The Mountain View, Calif.-based company lobbied on issues related to
> privacy, taxation, e-mails and Web addresses, which are also known as
> domain names, according to the form posted online Monday by the
> Senate's public records office."
> http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfe
> ds/articles/newstex/AFX-0013-18556726.htm
>
> According to
> http://sopr.senate.gov/cgi-win/opr_gifviewer.exe?/2007/E/000/087/000087322|3
>
> In 2006, VeriSign spent $6,585,000 lobbing Congress and the NTIA
> regarding domain name addressing and ICANN. This represents roughly
> $0.10 of every .com and .net registration.
>
> A complete list of VeriSign lobbying reports can be found at
> http://sopr.senate.gov/cgi-win/m_opr_viewer.exe?DoFn=3&iREG=
> ERISIGN%20INC&iREGQUAL==
>
> Sincerely,
> Ted
> Prophet Partners Inc.
> http://www.ProphetPartners.com
> http://www.Premium-Domain-Names.com

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827