RE: [ga] VeriSign & Korean IDN.com issues

  • To: <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] VeriSign & Korean IDN.com issues
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 19:11:44 -0400
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here is some additional information that might be helpful.

The VeriSign FAQ for the i-NAV(tm) plug-in can be found at
http://idn.verisign-grs.com/plug-in/support/index.jsp.  Please note the
response in the FAQ to question #2 under the heading 'i-Nav: Internet
Explorer Plug-In' (What versions of Internet Explorer does i-Nav(tm)
support?); it is copied here: "The i-Nav(tm) plug-in is compatible with
Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP and runs in Internet Explorer 5.0 and
above. Due to the limitations of English versions of Windows 98, ME and
NT, it is not possible to enter multilingual text into the address bar
and therefore you cannot use i-Nav(tm) on those operating systems. To
enable multilingual usage for English versions of Windows 2000 and
Windows XP, please go to Control Panels/Regional Options and then select
the languages you wish to use."  As you can see, we specifically say
that the problem will occur for users who are on an **English** version
of those  operating systems.

This would not be an issue for a user on say a Korean version of any of
those operating systems because they can enter multilingual text into
the address bar.  I should also point out that the majority of users of
i-Nav(tm) are on **non--English** versions of the operating system quite
simply for the fact that IDNs are targeted to specific language
environments and most English speakers do not know how to enter
multilingual characters of a language. Finally, because of the
limitations of the Windows Operating system (for those systems) **and
not** i-Nav(tm) we wanted to set expectations **for English** users.

Note also that IE7 can only be used on XP/SP2 or Vista systems so
i-Nav(tm) would be required to resolve IDNs on any other system using
IE6.

Chuck Gomes