Re: [ga] RE: Sponsorship of IGF Workshops

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] RE: Sponsorship of IGF Workshops
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 22:26:17 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Roberto and all,

  Well than it seems logical to me than that ICANN staff need
not be attending these IGF Workshops if  "Critical resources"
is "out of its charter", whatever that means, as it seems not to
be a very good expendature of registrants and users money.
Of course if this is just another ICANN "junket", what
the heck, right?  >:)

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> Karl Auerbach wrote:
> >
> > Given that ICANN has a limited charter and is funded, if
> > indirectly, out of the pockets of users of the internet, it
> > does seem that for ICANN to expend money and staff to
> > participate in the IGF efforts is ultra vires.
>
> In principle, I agree with Karl, it definitively would be the case.
> But unfortunately the IGF itself is going out of its charter and discussing
> alternate ways to dela with "critical resources", which is intended to be
> domain names and addresses. And this subject is exactly the charter of
> ICANN, so I believe that it is necessary that ICANN participates to the
> debate.
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827