Re: [ga] Proposal: New Cross-constituency mailing list

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>, George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Proposal: New Cross-constituency mailing list
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 14:06:26 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: kieren.mccarthy@xxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"I am frequently asked, "Why is there so much noise
around ICANN? How can you get any work done over
there?" My response is that ICANN is noisy by design.
We are intended to be the forum in which interested
parties - some might characterize them as combatants -
have the opportunity to advance multiple futures for
the domain name and address system, and have those
competing and frequently contradictory futures merged
into one satisfactory solution. By definition, it will
be noisy, and messy, and sometimes slow, and
frequently contentious, but if it works -- and the
jury is still out, although I am reasonably optimistic
-- it may well be a useful model for other global
issue resolution mechanisms."

Testimony of Michael M. Roberts (former ICANN
President and Chief Executive Officer) before U.S.
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and
Transportation, Subcommittee on Communications