RE: [ga] Haiti, the Internet and ICANN

  • To: <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Roberto Gaetano'" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Haiti, the Internet and ICANN
  • From: "Debbie Garside" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 15:04:20 +0100
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

JFC wrote:

> You have to chose sides first if you want to be consistent.
> Between the US/GB/AU/NZ English Internationalized Internet
> dominated by e-commerce considerations (the system ICANN fits
> in, but everyone there has not been told), and the WSIS
> multilingual Internet where every language could be
> technically supported as English is, endangering the de facto
> English dominated e-commerce status quo.

Wrt WSIS, I was in Tunis on other business, as far as I can see, there are
pretty active discussions, planning and standards development activities
ongoing in order to facilitate a multi-lingual internet.

> Currently, Debbie Garside happens to be at the core of a
> clever strategy to prevent this. This is why her presence is highly
> important: how do you want to find solutions without talking,
> and to talk without interlocutors. This is why I intend to
> propose her and her powerful allies a public, transparent,
> and technical dialogue.

Other than some political cloak and dagger insinuations, I have not the
foggiest idea of what you are talking about.

Best regards

Debbie