Re: [ga] Haiti, the Internet and ICANN

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Haiti, the Internet and ICANN
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 01:22:00 -0700
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Debbie and all,

  It's too small Debbie, Dr. Dierker knows it is but seems to be
reluctent
to say so directly.  Maybe his memory is failing?  Does .tj ring
a bell Dr. Dierker?  Or maybe that is before your time on this
forum.  Thankfully now .tj is in the rightful hands in Tajikistan.
However the contact information seems a bit odd.  See:
http://www.iana.org/root-whois/tj.htm

And there was also Uzbekistan .uz  controversy.  Which was
also in the hands of a crook which some of us exposed for
same as well.  Now it too is in better hands in Uzbekistan,
see: http://www.iana.org/root-whois/uz.htm

However without the diligance of some of us "old guys" as
Veni likes to say, the corrections may well have not been
made.  Diligance, good sense of ethics, and verifying are
imparative when dealing with ICANN,  IANA, ISOC,
all the "NIC's", most especially NIC.FR, IETF, IAB,
IESG, IRTF, all of the RIR's, AFNIC and LACNIC in
and particular, and the LIR's.

Blind trust of organizations is nearly always foolish,
trust but verify is wise indeed.

Debbie Garside wrote:

>    Eric wrote:
>
> >> Some of the outsourced ccTLDs are quite happy as are the host
> admininstrations,  Further the vast majority of ccTLDs are
> administered in
> good faith as a resource of the country. I work with one that has
> created
> good working relationship.
>
> I think this is excellent when all parties are happy and would not
> dispute
> that most countries in this situation are very pleased with the
> arrangement
> and, no doubt, very glad to outsource.  However, where there is a
> problem is
> when countries that are not in control of their ccTLDs are not pleased
> with
> the ccTLD administration and have no say and no control in how their
> ccTLD
> is managed; perhaps to the detriment of their economy.  I believe (and
>
> please correct me if I am wrong) that anyone could apply for control
> of a
> ccTLD initially and it is this that I (rightly or wrongly?) feel is
> not
> quite how it should be.
>
> Is that a small enough brush? ;-)
>
> best regards
>
> Debbie

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827