RE: [ga] Haiti the Internet and ICANN

  • To: "'Debbie Garside'" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Hugh Dierker'" <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Haiti the Internet and ICANN
  • From: "Vint Cerf" <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 11:52:02 -0400
  • Cc: "'ga'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'icann board address'" <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, "'icann staff'" <icann-staff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

.IE is for Ireland, not .EI

Vinton G Cerf
Chief Internet Evangelist
Google
Regus Suite 384
13800 Coppermine Road
Herndon, VA 20171

+1 703 234-1823
+1 703-234-5822 (f)

vint@xxxxxxxxxx
www.google.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Debbie Garside [mailto:debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 10:43 AM
To: jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; 'Hugh Dierker'
Cc: 'ga'; 'icann board address'; 'icann staff'; 'vinton g. cerf'

Hi Jeff

I should just make one or two corrections for you that I missed in my last
email:

.IR is the Country Code for Iran

.EI is the Country Code for Ireland (EIRE)

Ireland has never formed part of any other country.

Northern Ireland forms part of the UK and last I heard they had devolved to
an Assembly.  Technically, as they are geographically removed from the UK
mainland and now (since May 2007) have a devolved administration they MAY be
eligible for a Country Code.  However, given the history of the NI Assembly,
it is, perhaps, a little too soon to be counting our chickens! In any case,
personally FWIW, I don't like the thought of NI getting a Country Code.  I
would like to see them under .EI

Best regards

Debbie