Re: [ga] Haiti, the Internet and ICANN

Quoting sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Sunday July 01, 2007:
| > |
| > | Well, if the NIC doesn't have a web site, I would hardly call the .IQ
| > | ccTLD functional.
| >
| > The .IQ registry is functional in the sense that if registrants contact
| > them, they provide registration services. Your definition seems novel.
|
| To all intents and purposes, the .IQ ccTLD might as well be considered as
| non-functional.  After all, it took several days to get your response on
| this list.

What do you mean? I read your message (along with various other emails
in this thread) roughly an hour ago, and responded then. I don't think
there is an appreciable delay with the list. However comparing the
operation of this list to that of .IQ seems like a non-sequitur to me.

| What about the average user?  How would an average Iraqi user
| interested in obtaining an .IQ domain go about finding out how to do so?

Contact the registry?

| For that matter, how would someone interested in protecting IP interests
| be able to verify that their trademark was not being misused in the .IQ
| ccTLD?

I do not know, but I don't think that equates to the registry being
non-functional. To me, providing registration services to the local
Internet community is the core business of a country-code domain name
registry. However, I can not speak for the expectations of the Iraq
community. Maybe for Iraqis allowing someone to research intellectual
property matters to be their primary concern for their ccTLD manager. If
that is so, maybe the registry does fall short on that measure.

kim