RE: [ga] Increased foreign attendance

  • To: <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, <froomkin@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Increased foreign attendance
  • From: "Debbie Garside" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:59:37 +0100
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Roberto

> I would like to offer a different perspective.
> Businesses belong to the Business Constituency of the GNSO.
> That constituency is one of the 6 in the Council. In the Name
> Council you have also the NomCom representatives, and two
> constituencies (Registries and
> Registrars) have weighted voting.
> So, they count in the Council for slightly more than 10% of
> the voting.
> The current GNSO-elected Board Directors come from the IPC
> and Registrars, and the former came from NCUC. Previous
> Directors also came, if I am not mistaken, from IPC or
> Registrars. So the Business Constituency as such has zero
> power on the Board.

> The ALAC, on the contrary, has a non-voting Liaison. Although
> the Liaison does not have a vote, I can assure you, for
> having been ALAC Liaison for 3+ years, that his/her voice is
> heard and taken into account. In simple words, the Liaison
> does not have the power of voting, but does have the power of
> directly influencing, during Board meetings. Of course, if
> the Liaison is only complaining and bitching, he/she will no
> longer be listened to, while if he/she is available to debate
> in a civilized way, there is wide room for being able to have
> ALAC's points of view taken into account in shaping the final
> decision.

This reflects my experience within other Boards and committees.

> On the same line of reasonment, maybe we could wonder whether
> there is a correlation between the fact that most of what
> goes on now in the GA is complaining or resuscitating issues
> that are long closed and the fact that the Board does not pay
> attention.

I noticed.

Or whether there is a correlation between the fact
> that whenever somebody new does not conform to the groupthink
> he/she gets attacked and the fact that very few newcomers
> resist in the GA for long.

I noticed this too ;-)  But I am thick skinned and it is water off a ducks
back. My main problem is time - as I am sure is the problem for most.  If I
have to wade through the mud to get to the meat it rather puts me off.

I am hoping that after this little flurry of activity members of this forum
will think before they post and knuckle down to forming some real objectives
in a constructive (as opposed to destructive) way.

Best regards

Debbie