RE: [ga] Call for Statements of Interest -- NA RALO Seats on ALAC

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Call for Statements of Interest -- NA RALO Seats on ALAC
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 19:30:45 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Roberto,

No one's arguing that it's unacceptable to post the
notice to a relevant mailing list.  I contend that the
requirement for sufficient outreach has not been met.
The Call for Statements of Interest was not posted on
the NARALO website, it was not posted on the ALAC
website, it was not posted on the ICANN website;
neither was it posted on ICANN's public participation
website, nor in the ICANN Blog.  It was not in an
ICANN newsletter, nor in an ICANN news alert nor in an
at-large newsletter.

Confining the Call only to the tiny handful of
subscribers to the NA list is unfair to the broader
North American At-Large community.

Perhaps you recall the earlier at-large elections?
Sufficient publicity, and 10,632 participating North
American members... and what do you have now with your
pretend at-large?  Will you even get 32 votes to
select a North American representative to the ALAC?

It's sad to think that you remain comfortable
perpetrating a fraud.

As Milton Mueller recently stated on the NCUC list:

"Originally, the At Large was created to represent
unaffiliated individuals. After the "reforms" of 2002,
when the At Large membership became the At Large
Advisory Committee, the concept of At Large was
suddenly based on "At Large Structures" (ALSs). "At
large structure" is just a fancy name for a
noncommercial organization. The combination of an ALAC
based on ALSs and an NCUC based on noncommercial
organizations is a source of perpetual confusion among
civil society actors who are considering participation
in ICANN, and a source of discoordination within
ICANN. This confusion is compounded by the fact that
many people, apparently including the Board Governance
Committee, still think that ALAC represents
unaffiliated individuals, which it does only
imperfectly because of its reliance on ALSs."

The entire ALAC and RALO concepts remain an insult to
the at-large community.  I guess it's no wonder that
you want to keep real outreach to the real at-large to
a minimum...

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/