RE: [ga] Domain is expiring within next 60 days , you CAN'T transfer

  • To: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bashar Al-Abdulhadi" <bashar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Domain is expiring within next 60 days , you CAN'T transfer
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 06:31:11 -0400
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chris,

It's been several years when I worked on the development of the
Registrar Transfer Policy so my memory is probably not perfect but I
will try to answer your question.  One of the reasons for restricting
transfers for 60 days after a transfer occurred was to minimize
complexity of transfer dispute resolutions; if you look at the Transfer
Policy, you will see that the transfer dispute resolution process could
be greatly complicated if multiple transfers occurred within a short
period of time.  The policy requires a transfer dispute to be filed
within six months so the restriction could have been six months instead
of 60 days but that seemed excessive and it was assumed that most
disputes would occur in the first 60 days.  One reason for restricting
transfers during the first 60 days is that new registrations are
sometimes registrations of previously registered names; in cases where
there may have been an error in deleting a name, it would be much easier
to resolve the problem if it didn't also involve registrar transfers.
There was also awareness that some names were being registered by one
registrar and then shortly thereafter executing a transfer; as stated
above, this complicates any possible transfer disputes that may be
filed.

I am sure there were other reasons but these are all that come to mind
now.  I am sure registrars would be able to share others because they
deal with it everyday.  If the restrictions need changes, they could be
considered in the Transfer Policy review that apparently will be
reignited.

Chuck Gomes