Re: [ga] Domain is expiring within next 60 days , you CAN'T transfer

kidsearch wrote:
Chuck the question is why should I not be allowed to transfer my domain name anytime I want. Can you give me good reasons why a registry or registrar should be able to tell users when and if they can transfer their domain names and can you show me where this is good for consumers?

If I remember right, there were good reasons why there were limitations on transfers near the time of expiration. But I can't remember what they were, and it is possible, but not certain, that they are now no longer necessary.

Personally I have found the rather long pre-expiration limit on transfers to be a nuisance - it tends to mean that my renewal is locked into my current, but no longer desired, registrar.

I am sure that for those folks who do not watch upcoming expirations of their names that the first notice is something from their registrar, at which time it is probably too late to switch. That's not good, but to a certain degree it is a self-inflicted wound.

Perhaps it is possible to tighten the time window.

We do have to realize that the 5-day tasting does create a roughly 200:1 (tasting-registration:full-term-registration) increase in registry transaction load and that might have an impact on this discussion.

		--karl--