Re: [ga] DNS Update Service

I have at various times proposed that ICANN's "escrow" not be a static snapshot but rather a journal of the updates that occur. This, when coupled with periodic snapshots, is mechanism that better reflects what is happening to registrations and is more difficult for insiders to modify without detection.

Now, this Verisign proposal, which makes sense both to the community and to Verisign's income statement, is really just that journal but with the registrar information removed.

Rather than making this yet another product for Verisign to profit from its special position, ICANN should allow third parties to obtain the full feed of registration update transactions and produce whatever reports and digests they feel appropriate.

The fees for this should be reasonable and be clearly based on actual costs and ought to be paid to ICANN, not Verisign.

The registrar data could be elided from the stream if we as a community feel that such is appropriate to protect the privacy of the business relationships of registrars (although given their stance on whois, I'm not sure that I'd want to offer more than they give to us registrants).

However, the full flow, including registrar data, ought to be accumulated by ICANN as part of its yet-to-be-created escrow/data-reconstruction systems.

		--karl--