Re: [ga] Whois

  • To: "sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Whois
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 01:22:31 -0800
  • Cc: "'GA'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Liz Williams <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, icann staff <icann-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, GNSO/DNSO Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "David T. Murray" <dmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Karen Rose <krose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sotiris and all,

  Yes I read this remark from Miriam Karlin in the article with
some interest and chagrin, as it seems she is attempting to use
a real need for privacy and security by registrants in Whois
data, as an excuse for an increase in her fee structure to her
deep pocket clients.  But that is what lawyers of her stripe
do often, and as often as they can get away with it.

  Your suggestion of a licensing mechanism at first thought
seems a good one, however it also would add to lawyers
of Miriam Karlin's stripe to even heap additional fees to
her clients and as ICANN has shown clearly it cannot oversee
it's own "Accreditation" of registrars, overseeing a licensing
mechanism as you suggest seems even more dangerous.

  Further still, as ICANN has shown it cannot accurately
even maintain it's own web site, i.e. links, it's own archives
of mailing list forums, and it's own finances honestly, I find
it nearly inconceivable it could oversee any SIG license
for Whois data which indicates or shows any name, address,
or contact information other than eMail address of any registrant
of any domain name...  The risk to registrants to identity theft
stalking, and personal harm by a bad actor whom has acquired
such a license as with "Accreditation" or registrars, i.e. RegistryFly
and GoDaddy, is far too great and far too costly.

Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

> >From the article referenced by Eric:
>
> "``It would just make it that much more difficult and costly to find out
> who's behind a name,'' said Miriam Karlin, manager of legal affairs for
> International Data Group Inc., publisher of PC World and other magazines.
> She said she looks up Whois data daily to pursue trademark and copyright
> violators."
>
> I have nothing but crocodile tears for Miriam Karlin and all of her
> high-priced colleagues.  Perhaps it is time to introduce another potentially
> lucrative possibility for registry ROI.  How about a licensing program for
> all of the Miriam Karlins of the world, one which allows them access to the
> painstakingly maintained registry data on registrants - and here's the
> novelty - for a fee?  Of course, it is not such a novelty for Miriam and
> Company; they routinely charge exorbitant amounts of money for mining such
> FREE information for their clients.  Perhaps it is time Miriam and Co.
> learned that nothing is free in this world.
>
> Admittedly, my attitude may seem harsh vis a vis the lounge lizard legal
> culture that has grown fat around ICANN, but I feel it is justified as the
> IP lawyers/constituency are all here as employees.
>
> Sotiris Sotiropoulos
>
> --- Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Interesting AP article.
> >
> http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/business/technology/16941179.htm

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827