Re: [ga] Whois

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Whois
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 00:17:45 -0800
  • Cc: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>, GA <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, icann staff <icann-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, Liz Williams <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, Ranjit de Silva <rdesilva@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, tsloan@xxxxxxxxxxxx, mbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxx, "David T. Murray" <dmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, estark@xxxxxxxxxxxx, wendy seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all,

  Sorry Danny, but I also submitted a proposal as well for
our merry group.  So you are mistaken here to that extent.

  I liked your and Wendy's proposals as did most of our
members.

  You are correct I believe, in that only proposals from
certain task force members were even read, none the
less considered.  As such, this would be directly contrary
to ICANN's stated "Core Values" as provided for in
ICANN's bylaws...

Danny Younger wrote:

> Eric,
>
> In addition to the OPoC and the Special Circumstances
> proposals, two other proposals were submitted to the
> WHOIS Task Force -- one authored by Avri Doria, Robin
> Gross and Wendy Seltzer; the other proposal was mine.
>
> My brief Natural Persons proposal:
>
> "... a consensus has emerged that natural persons who
> use their domains exclusively for non-commercial
> activity have the right to and the expectation of
> privacy with respect to the display of their contact
> details within the WHOIS.
>
> This proposal posits only one change to current WHOIS
> policy; during the registration process, registrants
> will declare that they are either:
>
> A. Natural persons who will use their domains
> exclusively for non-commercial activity; or,
> B. Another type of registrant.
>
> Those that affirm as type (A) registrants will not
> have their postal address listed in the WHOIS
> (currently required under section 3.3.1.6 of the
> Registry-Registrar Accreditation Agreement), and
> neither will they be required to list the postal
> address, e-mail address, voice telephone number, and
> (where available) fax number of the administrative
> contact (currently required under section 3.3.1.8).
>
> In the event that a registrant who has affirmed under
> (A) engages in commercial activity, this proposal is
> supplemented by the recommendation tendered by the
> WHOIS Task Force chair that proposed:
>
> "a mechanism that would allow Whois users to request
> access to the removed data elements if the reason the
> information was removed was no longer valid, or if the
> domain was being used illegally or to harm the
> security or stability of other Internet resources. A
> third party would evaluate the request, and allow the
> release of the data if the party making the request
> proved that one of these conditions had been met."
>
> Unfortunately, the TF did not spend any length of time
> evaluating any proposals other than those submitted by
> the Task Force members.  Neither did they amend their
> own proposals in light of extensive legitimate
> criticisms put forth through the public comment
> period.
>
> Sadly, what we are looking at is the total breakdown
> of the consensus process with constituent participants
> inclined only to adopt intractable entrenched
> positions.
>
> While this is not a healthy development, we should be
> taking the attitude that when faced with no consensus
> whatsoever, registries/registrars should not be bound
> by global rules (such as those imposed in the RAA),
> but rather should be able to set their own path
> forward so that the market becomes the ultimate
> arbiter.
>
> regards,
> Danny
>
> --- Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Interesting AP article.
> >
> http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/business/technology/16941179.htm

> TV dinner still cooling?
> [...]

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827