Re: [ga] accreditation - What is it good for?

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] accreditation - What is it good for?
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 00:51:50 -0800
  • Cc: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Eric R. Stark" <estark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, mbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxx, "David T. Murray" <dmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Dierker and all,

  Well from what I have gotten from some registrants and customers
of RegistryFly, GoDaddy, and a few other registrars, none meet
reasonable business behavior standards, have good security measures
in place to protect registrants domain name registrations.

 Yes, accreditation is a good thing if it's managed correctly, designed
for consumer protection, and has readily enforceable remedies which have

real "teeth".  In the case of ICANN registrar accreditation, that simply

pulling back accreditation for massive violations is far too weak a
response.
ICANN needs either the power of the purse, i.e. levy fines, or keeping
it's
registrars in line is folly and DOC needs to step in and take immediate
and harsh action as well as compensate those registrants harmed and
ask for resignations of ICANN staff and Bod members as well...  If
something of this nature is not done and incodences like RegistryFly,
and GoDaddy are not far more severly sanctioned, I dare say that
at some point a political and main stream media fire storm will
erupt and DOC/NTIA staff may be looking at facing calls for
their resignations a la DOJ...  And from where I sit, that would
not be a good thing...

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    Registerfly is more a test than an issue to me.
>   It would appear that accreditation from ICANN means that
> registrar/registries meet certain minimum practices and competency and
> continue to do so. And then that those standards are enforced with the
> "teeth" of yanking back accreditation. Here some would argue too
> little too late - because of damage already caused. And others would
> argue that it is too harsh in that the standards are not well laid out
> and are arbitrary in design and enforcement.
>
>   I have two questions;
>   Do consumers and B2B care about accreditation? This is important if
> the "teeth" are to be of any consequences.
>   Were the standards adopted using best practices? Openness and
> transparency, broad stakeholder based consensus, inclusiveness, based
> on common practice in the trade and set forth with concise and
> reliable monitoring and consequences.
>
>   I do not know that the handling of Registerfly meets my standards to
> be a righteous participant. But i also am not confident in the basis
> upon which this is determined. And I damned sure am not satisfied with
> the time lag between complaints and action on behalf of ICANN - delays
> here caused more damage than the original screw up.
>
>   Eric

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827