Re: [ga] Re: Capture by a Self-interested Faction

On 12 mar 2007, at 13.09, Karl Auerbach wrote:

Tim Ruiz wrote:
The WG is made of 18 members, including only four Registries. On the
full committee doing the policy work on new gTLDs all constituencies
are represented and observers have been welcomed.

"all constituencies" is not the same as "all people affected by the decisions being made".

while I do not want to make any statement implying that nomcom appointees to the gnso (i am one) represent anyone, i can categorically state that they do _not_ represent any constituency. and while i would never presume to think of myself as representing 'all people affected by the decisions being made', i do know that i and other nomcom appointees do try to bring in the concerns we see from this list and other lists of non constituency people who are affected by decisions - i think it is a big part of our job. not that this is not the same as elected representatives, but i also do not think it is the same as 'only constituencies.'

As we well know the latter are effectively reduced to be nothing more than powerless observers who have no ability except that of making comments that may be disregarded with impunity and that may not even be read by those incumbent vendors and industrial interests that are actually making the choices.

i do not believe they are powerless or that they are ignored with impunity or even could be. they are discussed sometimes extensively, but i do not think we necessarily do a good enough job of responding to each one of the printed comments. i can tell you, though, that the comments of the people who come to the meetings are not ignored and often these 'observers' have motivated, if not monopolized, the conversations on various topics. and i thought this was a good thing.

a.