Re: [ga] Capture by a Self-interested Faction

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Capture by a Self-interested Faction
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 00:10:25 -0800
  • Cc: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "office@xxxxxx" <office@xxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny, Karl and all,

  Frankly when it comes to "O.com" I believe the Vatican
may differ on whom has preemptive rights.  >:)  I
am not sure the Holly See will be very accepting of
"O.com" being given to special  Self-interested group
when many less than holly and good uses could
come of it and given the many mentions of "Oh Lord" in
the bible. Although I am not a catholic, if the Holly See
were to object to a Self-interested faction being "awarded"
"O.com", he would find me a ardent supporter of such
an objection.

  Even more frankly, IMHO, no one, or organization should
have preemptive rights to any Domain name in any name space,
single letter 2nd level or otherwise...

Danny Younger wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> Option #1 is particularly bad, although Chuck Gomes is
> probably salivating at the prospect of auctioning
> single-letter .com and .net names via the new registry
> services process that would necessarily put all
> auction proceeds directly into VeriSign's pockets.
>
> It's a bad choice because it creates the impression
> that such an offering is in fact a new TLD registry
> service when in reality making a domain such as o.com
> available for registration is identical to the process
> of making asdfgertchtybvertyfinhvd54hteiflhs.com
> available -- there's nothing new about the nature of
> the service being provided; all we're talking about is
> just another string choice within the pool of
> available names.
>
> Further, I remain concerned that John Klensin's
> concerns were dismissed by this SubGroup -- see
> http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/registrars/msg04473.html
>
> Finally, I would ask if IDN registrations could be
> used to readily spoof domains such as O.com.

> http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827