Re: [ga] Capture by a Self-interested Faction

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Capture by a Self-interested Faction
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 17:26:12 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Karl,

Option #1 is particularly bad, although Chuck Gomes is
probably salivating at the prospect of auctioning
single-letter .com and .net names via the new registry
services process that would necessarily put all
auction proceeds directly into VeriSign's pockets.

It's a bad choice because it creates the impression
that such an offering is in fact a new TLD registry
service when in reality making a domain such as o.com
available for registration is identical to the process
of making asdfgertchtybvertyfinhvd54hteiflhs.com
available -- there's nothing new about the nature of
the service being provided; all we're talking about is
just another string choice within the pool of
available names.

Further, I remain concerned that John Klensin's
concerns were dismissed by this SubGroup -- see
http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/registrars/msg04473.html

Finally, I would ask if IDN registrations could be
used to readily spoof domains such as O.com.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail