Re: [ga] Capture by a Self-interested Faction

Danny Younger wrote:
An excerpt from the Reserved Names Working Group Draft Report regarding Single and Dual Character
Domains:

[ALT1]:  A registry could propose release of single
letter or number strings through the process for new
registry services, which process involves analysis of
any technical or security concerns

We hit that one back in the 1980's when 3com wanted 3com.com - until then names with leading digits were interpreted by a lot of software as IP addresses, and they got upset to find non-digits/dots. But that is long, long fixed.

[ALT2]:  Currently reserved names may be released
through a framework to be developed, which treats the
release and allocation of single letters in the non
sponsored gTLDs uniformly by allocating them via
auction to parties with demonstrated rights

Ah, thus I should have a demonstrated right to "i" because I begin so many sentences with that word.

And I have a demonstrated right for "u" because it sounds exactly like my tld, .ewe.

And as for "o", there is no reason why overstock has any more right than other people who use that name in their business - Lucent's symbol, for instance, is a circle. (Personally I think it should go to someone named "Susanna" because of the song that begins "Oh Susanna...")

> [ALT3]

There are methods of simply making a name available - such as doing so at an time that is not announced in advance - that I bet they did not consider.

--karl--