Re: [ga] China to launch root domain name server

  • To: "Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] China to launch root domain name server
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 12:03:16 -0500
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If other countries start to adopt similar systems it is. Personally not a techie so don't know the harm a fractured internet might do from a technical standpoint. From my perspective as a small businessman, it wouldn't bother me to see each country or region with it's own Internet and rules for such. I would simply choose which countries I wish to do business in.

>From a world perspective as someone who cares about individual users I do see a problem with this concept. The fact that people will still be oppressed by their governments and will not be able to enjoy the freedom the Internet offers as it stands now.

All things considered, I hope that it does not happen. If ICANN continues to favor corporations in all of their decisions rather than considering individual users though, it will happen and probably sooner rather than later. Business owners won't suffer. it's the users in many countries that will suffer. Currently ICANN sides with big business against them and that's a shame.

Chris McElroy aka NameCritic
http://www.missingchildrenblog.com