Re: [ga] DOC Notice of Intent for contracting the IANA function

Martin Hannigan wrote:
At 08:24 PM 5/21/2006, Danny Younger wrote:
http://www.fedbizopps.gov/spg/DOC/OS/OAM/DOCNTIA%2D0001/SynopsisP.html

Can someone here who actually understands the process the government is using explain to me exactly what this means as related to the IANA function? From
my experience, a lot of these activities are standard government operations
and housekeeping from my past experience and usually mean little.

Well, I'm no expert on the rules of Federal procurement, but what this means is that NTIA has decided that nobody else but ICANN can do "the IANA function" and that anybody who wants to say otherwise has a couple of weeks to put together a completely formed, comprehensive proposal to replace ICANN in the performance of that job.

One of the substantial hurdles to this is that the job is extremely non-defined. Yes, there are phrases that hint at some of the duties, but the exact deliverables, performance standards, relationships with third parties, government provided rights and facilities, etc etc are all not described. That makes it impossible for anyone else to make a bid.

Moreover, the linkage of this procurement to other relationships between the USG and ICANN are not described, nor is there any statement anywehre about the fate of the L root server. (I asked NTIA about this when they put out their RFI and they said that the L root was *not* included, but it is not clear to me that that RFI and this sole-source procurement have a legally recognizable relationship.)

And there are substantial questions that are not addressed due to the vague nature of the procurement. For example, can the IANA operator charge money to third parties, such as the IETF or the RIRs for the performance of tasks under this agreement? Considering that the RIRs charge money for the sub-allocations they make from the IANA delegation to the RIRs, it only makes sense for IANA to be able to charge money as well.

Overall, its part of the continuing hubris of NTIA and the US DoC.

What is really sad is that one of the NTIA architects of that hubris was named to fill the male seat for north america on the UN/IGF Advisory group.

		--karl--