Re: [ga] this is ICANN's legacy

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <ploki_xyz@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] this is ICANN's legacy
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:47:29 -0400
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Q6: Do you consider it fair and competitive to allow current companies who
monopolize most of the good, short one word domain names, to have an
advantage over every other business or individual user who has to choose 3-4
word domain names to compete with?-by Chris McElroy

Vint Cerf: I assume you mean by this, second level labels within a given
TLD? Registrations in the existing TLDs have been essentially open and
roughly speaking first come, first served, discounting some sunrise
processes introduced with some new TLDs. Your thesis seems to be that short
domain names are somehow more competitive than longer ones, or ones that are
hierarchical in structure. Given the way in which most products and services
are found on the net (through search, not through domain name guessing), I
am not sure I buy the competition argument I believe you are implicitly
making.

It's obvious Vint sees absolutely no need for new commercially viable TLDs.
He doesn't recognize there is even a shortage of good domain names.