Re: [ga] China confirms alternate root for TLDs

  • To: JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Veni Markovski <veni@xxxxxxxx>, Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] China confirms alternate root for TLDs
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 05:40:06 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It  certainly sounds like a predictable evovulution of the Net.

JFC Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  At 13:16 06/03/2006, Veni Markovski wrote:
>At 08:01 AM 28.2.2006 '?.' -0800, Danny Younger wrote:
>>http://www.icann-news.blogspot.com/
>>_________________________________________________
>

>Danny and all, perhaps you may wish to take a look at
>http://english.people.com.cn/200603/03/eng20060303_247684.html for
>the true information?

Veni, perhaps will you tell us why you trust a version as true and
the other as wrong. Because it suits you?
Why not to ask yourself why the "news" was released 2 years after its
official publication.

>It's always good to double check such "news" before posting them to
>the mailing list.

It is always good to technically cross-check the DNS before betting
his reputation on a people.com.cn "news".

The real and important news is that after three years, after meetings
on IDNs, after the fuss of this week, an ICANN BoD Member with
technical competence may send such a mail. It means that the Chinese
way to manage the DNS fully matches the ICANN ICP-3 criteria: after 3
years no one noticed any malfunctionning of the DNS due to it. We
have a real test. With hundreds millions users.

Now, other countries are entitled to copy them.

Hmmm... this requires a new Governance system. When you consider the
US and the Chinese sub-appropriations of the Internet: USA has its
NTIA root. China has its domain list extending the US one. But now if
a third contry starts doing the same, how will they establish
interoperability? IETF does not want to consider. ICANN does not want
to consider. May be ITU will want to host the Top Lever Directory?
jfc

Yahoo! Mail