Re: [ga] Ask Vint Cerf: The Road Ahead for Top-Level Domains

At 12:04 p.m. 19/01/2006, Karl Auerbach wrote:

Talk about shooting low...  ;-)

As soon as we admit even one non-technical criteria then everybody else's hobbyhorse can come in the door. And the first to march through, with the band playing, will be the intellectual property industry.

So the answer is this - if you want to impose business longevity guarantees, do it through the appropriate mechanism: a legislative enactment passed by a national legislature and signed by a national executive. But don't do it under the guise of "technical stability".

Contractors, plumbers and others have to be bonded and insured.

No, they don't, people are not required to hire bonded or union plumbers, contractors, etc.

Only a very few professions (such as medicine or law) have legal requirements. And speaking as a member of one of those professions, I can tell you that I don't have to post any sort of bond guranting my business continuity to my clients.

Good arguments.

So why not inject .ewe into the alt root and let the market decide if it likes the digital certificates, "no-whois" and "no UDRP" setup while taking the business continuity of Karl's TLD for granted and the isolation from the ICANN root as superable.

Thus  begins the "differentiation by contractual status"  in the Namespace.

I can see quite a bit of  "cool" in the ownership of a .ewe domain.

Personally, I'd rather deal with a relatively transparent individual than with a big corporate riddled with spooks.

Would you be ready for it, Karl?
$30 for a 30-year transferable certificate?
50 000  registrants in the first year?

-joop-