Re: [ga] Ask Vint Cerf: The Road Ahead for Top-Level Domains

Good points there Karl. Some comments for you though.

I don't see a reason to include lowering the numbers made available per
month/year. Any proposal to ICANN on this matter would promot them to try to
reduce it anyway. Don't give them a head start.

you wrote, "Then take that per-year or per-month allocation and divide it
into two pots - one pot is for names that will be put up for auction and the
other pot is names that will be put up for a low-cost ($5/ticket) lottery."

I'm simply for the $50 fee you suggested earlier and allowing people to
create the tlds. I'm also open to the need for a tld owner to have to put up
a bond or purchase insurance to cover some plan by ICANN or another body to
take over tld management if necessary due to failed business plans. I
understand the arguments against such a failsafe plan, but think no proposal
without such assurances will pass the muster. Contractors, plumbers and
others have to be bonded and insured. I don't think it is an excessive
burden to have the same requirement for a tld owner, IF he plans on selling
or distributing domain names under that tld. Some may register a tld and
plan to use them exclusively and not go into the domain name business at
all. Coca-Cola might decide to put up a lot of websites for different
activities under dot coke. No bond or insurance would be required or the
requirement could be waved for such activities.

Also, if you don't lower the number of slots then there is no need for
lotteries and auctions. An individual or business could just register a
string not already taken, first come, first serve.

The rest is either something I agree with or is covered by the comments
above. Thanks Karl.

Chris McElroy
http://www.newsandmediablog.com

.