[ga] Food for thought

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Food for thought
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 12:56:20 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl and others have argued that the Top Level can
support a great many TLDs.  This leads me to ask (as I
don't have a thorough working knowledge of the general
technical principles that support the proper
functioning of the Internet) whether such, from a
technical point of view, is "desirable".  Are there
any downsides or architectural issues that we need to
consider?  Which Internet bodies are poised to provide
advise on this topic?

Also, I'm aware that the Computer Sciences and
Telecommunication Board through their publication
"Signposts in Cyberspace: the Domain Name System and
Internet Navigation", concluded: "The development of
Internet navigation services is likely to continue to
relieve some of the commercial pressures on the DNS as
users become increasingly comfortable with using these
services as their primary means to navigate the
Internet."
http://www.nap.edu/books/0309096405/html/373.html

With that comment in mind I had another look at RFC
3467 wherein John Klensin writes: "Finally, a system
of separate directories and databases, if coupled with
removal of the DNS-imposed requirement for unique
names, would largely eliminate the need for a single
worldwide authority to manage the top of the naming
hierarchy."

I have to wonder if our goal should really be the
expansion of the namespace through more and more TLDs
which would expand ICANN's role and institutional
size, or if the same goals can be accomplished through
means other than new TLDs so that we don't ultimately
create a jauggernaut at the helm of the DNS.

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com