Re: [ga] Policy for dealing with controversial TLDs

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Policy for dealing with controversial TLDs
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 00:11:28 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

What other nations deem as objectionable in regards to a TLD is
easily blocked.  Hence what is objectionable is not valid criterion.

Danny Younger wrote:

> Recently, governments have pointed to "obvious and
> predictable public policy issues" associated with the
> introduction of certain TLDs.  They have cited
> "potential ethical problems" and "significant impacts
> on local concerns" as justification for a TLD
> selection criterion that would examine "the real need
> for such an introduction".
>
> The GAC, in their most recent Communique, has also
> "agreed to initiate work on public policy applicable
> to new gTLDs."
>
> My concern pertains to the choice of NEED as a
> selection criterion.
>
> If we predicate the introduction of a TLD on NEED,
> then that means that we probably would have excluded
> .coop, .museum, .name and other such TLDs from the
> mix.  It also means that tlds such as .eu and .asia
> wouldn't have come into existence as I can't imagine
> that one could successful argue that there is a
> compelling need to brand different regions of the
> world.  There probably wouldn't have been a need for
> .int as IGOs could easily have had reserved slots
> within .org
>
> So, if NEED is not a suitable criterion, how then
> should we deal with those TLDs that potentially pose
> public policy concerns?  There are governments that
> will probably object to TLDs such as .xxx, .gay,
> .nazi, etc.  because they hold the promise of content
> that some nations will deem objectionable.
>
> What policy or selection criterion should guide ICANN
> decision-making?
>
> Is it sufficient to say that if a TLD raises public
> policy concerns, then the TLD applicant must
> demonstrate a compelling need for the introduction of
> such a domain?
>
> reference URLS:
> http://www.icann.org/correspondence/lopez-to-tarmizi-06sep05.pdf
> http://www.icann.org/correspondence/zangl-to-cerf-16sep05.pdf
> http://gac.icann.org/web/communiques/gac23com.pdf

> Yahoo! DSL ? Something to write home about.
> Just $16.99/mo. or less.
> dsl.yahoo.com

"Obediance of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827