Re: [ga] DOT DANNY -- It's the problem?

  • To: "M. Morfin" <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] DOT DANNY -- It's the problem?
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 14:52:25 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Re:  I would like to understand what you want to
obtain.

Hi Jefsey,

I'm sure that you recall the year 2000 TLD round where
ICANN rejected ".iii" because some Board members were
concerned that the name was too difficult to
pronounce, even though the pronunciation factor had
not been listed as a criterion.

You probably also recall the comment of a U.S.
Congressman who stated that ICANN's TLD selection
process was "more shrouded in mystery than events at
the Vatican".

What I want to obtain in the first instance is
consensus on very clear selection criteria so that we
can have a predictable process reasonably free from
subjectivity and arbitrary decision-making.

By consensus, I do not mean the collective views of
only the IETF community who probably drafted RFC 920
without any input from non-commercial groups,
trademark interests, ISPs, governments, or small
businessmen.  Consensus today needs to accomodate a
broader range of interests.

Right now my focus is on a search for agreement on
selection criteria.  I am also concerned by the need
for definitive allocation methods for instances when
perhaps two or three or four different groups all want
to manage the same TLD (an example might be a .tel).

If we don't decide what the criteria or allocation
methods will be, then assuredly ICANN Staff will make
that decision for us.

Merry Christmas,
Danny