Re: [ga] A TLD for Trademarks

  • To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A TLD for Trademarks
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 05:42:33 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey, lets face it, the IP girls did a heck of a job expanding rights and restraints when domain names hit the millions of dollar mark. And lets also face it that a lot of speculators capitalised on cybersquatting. Extremes will continue in both directions.
  Generally apple will be available as will McDonalds and generally we are running out of technical excuses to limit the market.

  Criteria should be limited to minimal intrusions.

Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Making Trademark identification more straightforward and less expensive
would not seem to me to be a "restraint of trade". What possible reason
would a small business have for spending its hard-earned money on 100's of
defensive registrations in future TLDs, when it could achieve its
authenticated trademark identity with just *one* registration?

Personally, if I want to register www.apple.scot or www.apple.sci or
www.apple.bla at the launch of future TLDs, I regard it as a "restraint of
trade" and also a restraint on my right of access to my own language, if the
IP lobby claims the repeated right to get there first and take all these
generic names. To me, that stifles diversity and the future innovation of
the Net. I would also say that in setting up all these Sunrise processes,
ICANN is failing to ensure one of its main remits: "the fair distribution of
the DNS".

I repeat, why "trademark" a domain name over and over again, if a process
can be set up which means you only need to do it once?

Yrs,

Richard H