Re: [ga] "Ongoing Programs" Mechanism

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] "Ongoing Programs" Mechanism
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:04:14 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Dierker and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

The problem with ICANN is that it too is neck deep in the void of
governance.  The other problem is that the internet is a medium of
communications unlike any other that is being addressed like a
 telephony.  As such than, we are faced with a disproportionate
and sometimes improperly viewed medium that is a public resource
but managed like a private resource.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    Oh, what a wonderful world it would be.
>
>   Motivations for increaseing a sphere of influence or mission
> statement are much older than Ceasar and even the Greeks cannot lay
> claim to the original, nor those surrounding the great Kahns. Perhaps
> the Pharisees were best at it or those attached to the Czars.
>
>   When two bodies (agency/corp/committee) do not overlap within their
> Jurisdictions we consider this good. No turf wars and a single voice.
> However when forces create a large gap between bodies and a void forms
> in that gap, something must cover that space.
>   The technology is not governed (ha ha) but the social impacts and
> legal ramifications are not governed either. Whois, pricing, porn, all
> are basically operating in a void of governance. Who better to cover
> that void than ICANN?

> Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Danny Younger wrote:
>
> > The Staff Report described one of these mechanisms as
> > follows: "On-going programs where baseline criteria
> > for the establishment of new gTLDs are published and
> > maintained.
> > Applicants can, at any time, apply for a new gTLD. If
> > the applicant meets the criteria, they will enter
> > negotiations to execute an agreement that provides for
> > the establishment of a new gTLD registry."
>
> Why the ^%!~ should there be "negotiations"? From the point of view of
>
> ICANN all TLD operators should meet the same terms/conditions.
>
> However, those terms and conditions should not concern themselves one
> whit
> about business practices, products, prices, and other materials not
> clearly of direct relationship to the technical ability of the
> operator to
> provide a working set of TLD name servers.
>
> Whether they use a registrar tier, whether they publish whois, whether
>
> they offer registrations for one month or 500 years, all of that is
> irrelevant to ICANN's purpose and must not be among the
> terms/conditions.
>
> As I said, the only obligations must be those that are clearly and
> demonstrably directly related to the technical ability of the TLD to
> answer DNS queries.
>
> --karl--

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827