[ga] Wendy Seltzer Comments on the ALAC

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Wendy Seltzer Comments on the ALAC
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:36:11 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>From the ALAC discussion list:

Since I'll miss the first of the "ALAC Strategic
Review" sessions, let me share a few thoughts by email
-- and with the public list.

I hope we will have a serious discussion of whether
ALAC, as envisioned by the ICANN bylaws, can ever be
an effective voice for the public in ICANN. We have
tried, over several years, to work within the
directives of the ALAC charter, and yet we in North
America still find lack of interest from broad
segments of the public in joining ALSs -- and interest
from individual members of the public for whom ALSs as
described do not serve an effective role. The
experience from other regions may differ, but for
Internet users in the U.S., I think the model is
fatally flawed.

Discussion of our plans for the future should include
asking ourselves what impact we have had within ICANN;
whether a reconfigured ALAC could better serve the
interests of at-large; or whether there are other ways
to give individual Internet users a voice in ICANN
policymaking.

Thanks,
--Wendy
http://forum.icann.org/lists/alac/msg01359.html