Re: [ga] ALAC tells Hans Klein to get his facts straight -- a preview of the ALAC Self-Review

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ALAC tells Hans Klein to get his facts straight -- a preview of the ALAC Self-Review
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 04:14:48 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sebas Ricciardi <sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, geert@xxxxxxxxx, patrick@xxxxxxx, apisan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cdel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, veni@xxxxxxxx, "vinton g. cerf" <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

I find Mr.Ricciardi's response remarks to be very questionable as to
the level of actual individual representation in the ALAC.  As the
ISOC did away with individual membership some time ago now,
such claims regarding the ALAC representing individuals as it
also has not individual membership, is more than a little bit
dishonest.  Groups that have no individual members in turn
members of the ALAC or the ISOC cannot claim representation
of individuals in any legitimate manner.

Danny Younger wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: "Sebas Ricciardi" <sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 26 November 2005 7:10:41 AM
> To: "'Geert Lovink'" <geert@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Patrick
> Vande Walle'"
> <patrick@xxxxxxx>
> Cc: <isoc-members-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> "'Christian de
> Larrinaga'" <cdel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'ISDF Discussion
> List'"
> <isdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Alejandro Pisanty'"
> <apisan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Veni Markovski'"
> <veni@xxxxxxxx>
>
> Subject: RE: [isoc-members-discuss] [isdf]  WSIS
> debate
>
> I think Mr. Klein is uninformed about ALAC work
> through these years:
>
> In the past years, we have succeeded in accrediting a
> significant number of At-Large Structures (ALSs) from
> the different ICANN Regions. Since the ALAC began
> accepting applications 2 years ago, (as of 1 October
> 2005), 22
> organizations have been certified as At-Large
> Structures in four
> geographic regions, and 36 organizations have applied
> for "At-Large Structure certification.".
>
> These 22 groups represent more than 20,000 individual
> Internet users. Although we could improve our efforts
> in this regard, and particularly improve the ALS
> accreditation process, which has shown some flaws,
> these membership figures are similar to, or exceed,
> several ICANN constituencies.
>
> It is worth noting that so far, 13 of the 22 certified
> ALSs are
> chapters of the Internet Society. Some participants in
> the ICANN
> process have showed concerns regarding this fact.
> However, we feel that it is natural for many chapters
> of ISOC around the world to get involved in ICANN's
> policy development process, as it represents an
> important opportunity to actively contribute to the
> development of the Internet.
>
> While we are pleased to count many ISOC chapters as
> active
> participants in At-Large, we also acknowledge the
> importance of
> other types of user groups in At-Large including
> professional societies, consumer groups, community
> networking groups, etc. These types of groups also are
> a growing element of ICANN At-Large, and are important
> representatives of their communities and include
> groups such as: FITUG, Alfa Redi, Internauta, AKMS,
> AtLarge@China, AnaisAC, and The Internet Users Network
> of Japan, among others.
>
> ALAC outreach efforts not only apply to the
> accreditation and
> certification process, but also to communicating
> At-Large's
> involvement in ICANN's DNS policy development process
> to the "outside world".  In many countries,
> particularly in those less developed, the existence of
> ICANN is either unknown or ignored, and the
> possibilities of ICANN participation are
> minimal.

> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827