[ga] ALAC tells Hans Klein to get his facts straight -- a preview of the ALAC Self-Review

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] ALAC tells Hans Klein to get his facts straight -- a preview of the ALAC Self-Review
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 05:28:06 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Sebas Ricciardi" <sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26 November 2005 7:10:41 AM
To: "'Geert Lovink'" <geert@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Patrick
Vande Walle'"
<patrick@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <isoc-members-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"'Christian de
Larrinaga'" <cdel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'ISDF Discussion
List'"
<isdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Alejandro Pisanty'"
<apisan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Veni Markovski'"
<veni@xxxxxxxx>

Subject: RE: [isoc-members-discuss] [isdf]  WSIS
debate

I think Mr. Klein is uninformed about ALAC work
through these years:

In the past years, we have succeeded in accrediting a
significant number of At-Large Structures (ALSs) from
the different ICANN Regions. Since the ALAC began
accepting applications 2 years ago, (as of 1 October
2005), 22
organizations have been certified as At-Large
Structures in four
geographic regions, and 36 organizations have applied
for "At-Large Structure certification.".

These 22 groups represent more than 20,000 individual
Internet users. Although we could improve our efforts
in this regard, and particularly improve the ALS
accreditation process, which has shown some flaws,
these membership figures are similar to, or exceed,
several ICANN constituencies.

It is worth noting that so far, 13 of the 22 certified
ALSs are
chapters of the Internet Society. Some participants in
the ICANN
process have showed concerns regarding this fact.
However, we feel that it is natural for many chapters
of ISOC around the world to get involved in ICANN's
policy development process, as it represents an
important opportunity to actively contribute to the
development of the Internet.

While we are pleased to count many ISOC chapters as
active
participants in At-Large, we also acknowledge the
importance of
other types of user groups in At-Large including
professional societies, consumer groups, community
networking groups, etc. These types of groups also are
a growing element of ICANN At-Large, and are important
representatives of their communities and include
groups such as: FITUG, Alfa Redi, Internauta, AKMS,
AtLarge@China, AnaisAC, and The Internet Users Network
of Japan, among others.

ALAC outreach efforts not only apply to the
accreditation and
certification process, but also to communicating
At-Large's
involvement in ICANN's DNS policy development process
to the "outside world".  In many countries,
particularly in those less developed, the existence of
ICANN is either unknown or ignored, and the
possibilities of ICANN participation are
minimal.

ALAC members have successfully undertaken a variety of
outreach efforts, such as Tommy Matsumoto´s work in
the APNG Camp, Bret Fausett´s blog, Erick Iriarte's
contributions to the Alfa-Redi newsletter and outreach
program, and Vittorio Bertola's and Izumi Aizu´s work
in the WSIS process, just to name a few.

At-Large outreach and organizing activities also have
been advanced through international and regional
ALAC-sponsored workshops and meetings. ICANN has
supported At-Large events in Brazil, Canada, South
Africa, Argentina, Luxembourg, Peru, Trinidad and
Tobago, Korea, Ghana, Japan, Venezuela, Taiwan, and
the Dominican Republic.

At-Large websites, forums, a 6500+ email announce
list, and monthly newsletters also are used to share
information about At-Large efforts and educate the
general user community on why, and how, to become
involved in ICANN At-Large.  Interested and qualified
groups are encouraged to complete and submit to the
ALAC a short application form (the form and supporting
 information is available in English, Spanish,
Portuguese, French,
Italian, and Chinese).

Organizations involved in, or interested in becoming
involved in, ICANN At-Large include community
networking groups, professional societies, consumer
advocacy groups, and academic organizations.

Anyone who would like to check the facts before
claiming easy
factoids can visit our website alac.icann.org

I'd be happy to answer any other doubt about this
matter. It
would've be great if profesor Klein had contact us in
order to get the facts straight before coming to such
strong conclusions from behind his desk.

Best,

Sebastian Ricciardi
ALAC - At Large Advisory Committee

http://mail.yahoo.com