Re: [ga] The ALAC has a new website

  • To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] The ALAC has a new website
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 23:57:51 -0800
  • Cc: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ICANN ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Richard and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

In this sense, your concern is reasonable to be considered seriously.
Bottom up my @^#!

Richard Henderson wrote:

> My main concern remains the fact that ALAC is supposed to be for Individual
> Internet Users, but Individual Internet Users are barred from joining as
> Individuals.
>
> On this new website it says that in order to be certified as an At Large
> Structure an organisation must meet minimum criteria, including: "offering
> Internet-based mechanisms that enable discussions of one or more of these
> activities and issues among individual constituents/members"
> (http://icannalac.org/what-is-the-certification-process-and-criteria-for-cre
> ation-of-an-at-large-structure--2.html )
>
> If I look on the ICANN.org site and check out the ALAC structures that have
> already been certified, and check out their web presence to see if, indeed,
> there are "Internet-based" mechanisms that enable discussions by individual
> members, I find:
>
> ISOC-DRC: No details given of even having a website, let alone any way
> individuals can participate online:
> http://www.alac.icann.org/africa/applications/isoc-drc.htm
>
> Morrocan Internet Society: Click on their given website and you get "page
> cannot be displayed":
> http://www.alac.icann.org/africa/applications/misoc-25nov03.htm then click
> on:
> http://www.misoc.org.ma/
>
> Anais.AC: it says there is "no website yet", let alone any way individual
> members can participate in this non-existent website:
> http://www.alac.icann.org/africa/applications/anais-27oct03.htm
>
> Sudan Internet Society: it has a website, but NO "Internet-based mechanisms"
> where individuals can hold discussions. Moreover, in its mission statement,
> it says it is serving "individuals, businesses, professionals, and
> organizations" - so it hardly seems to be a structure set up specifically to
> represent Individual Users.
> http://www.alac.icann.org/africa/applications/sudan-isoc-29sep03.htm
> http://www.isoc.sd/
>
> The Arab Knowledge Management Society has no interface for online discussion
> by individuals, and is not set up to help individuals participate in
> Internet Governance issues, but rather it is committed in the fields of
> knowledge management, technology, innovation, and corporate governance - so
> its mission is far broader and not really about Individual Internet users at
> all:
> http://www.apralo.org/
> http://www.akms.org/Default.aspx?&lang=en
>
> The National Information Infrastructure Enterprise Promotion Association,
> based in Taiwan, has a website but its mission mentions nothing about
> Individual Internet Users and it describes its purposes as "supporting the
> government to implement NII applications and services, assist the private
> sctor with these, strengthen links between the government and private sector
> in fields of science and technology, and collaborate with the government to
> build a well-rounded environment for the development of the NII industry".
> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827