Re: [ga] Opposition mounts to .com price hike

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Opposition mounts to .com price hike
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 03:14:12 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Aisenberg <maisenberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, essential ecom <ecommerce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all former  DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

It should come as no surprise that such opposition is intensifying again.
This is NOT a new concern or debate on this and other forums.

This agreement essentially allows for Verisign to impose a "Tax" of sorts
disguised in legal language as a "Fee" in which Verisign can justify from
a cost standpoint in future support for ICANN which had been waning
in order to keep .COM essentially forever.

Some might find this a "Good Deal" for many varied reasons others
might find that ICANN has effectively found a round about way to
fund it's operations at least in part without seeking donations as Esther
Dyson from the early days of ICANN frequently complained about.

I believe however as do most of our members that ALL TLD's are
a public resource and as such a "Fee" or "Tax" for registration should
not be charged to the registrant unless those fees are put into the governments
coffers for future determined use.

Danny Younger wrote:

> 23rd November 2005
> By Kevin Murphy
>
> Excerpt:
>
> A proposed deal that would let VeriSign Inc double the
> wholesale price of a .com domain by 2012 is coming
> under increasing amounts of criticism from consumers
> and from the company's own channel.
>
> Under a deal inked in October, VeriSign agreed to
> settle its lawsuits against ICANN, the Internet Corp
> for Assigned Names and Numbers, in exchange for a new
> .com registry contract that allows it to raise prices.
>
> The deal enables VeriSign to raise prices by 7% a year
> starting in January 2007 through to when the contract
> ends in 2012. If VeriSign took advantage of this every
> year, the price of a .com would double from its
> current $6 by the end of the term.
>
> http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=A784F389-5300-4C71-9175-2E5EAE62861B

> http://farechase.yahoo.com

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827