Re: [ga] More ALAC Follies

  • To: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] More ALAC Follies
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:44:57 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, committee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well it seems logical to me that this is capture by minorities, simply because the are minorities. Using this logic I should be elligible as the manager of the House of Dierker Internet users, even though it is just me, my wife and a few travelling children.

Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Danny Younger ha scritto:
> I see that the ALAC has accepted yet another ccTLD
> manager as an At-Large Structure -- the Internet Users
> Society Niue. Their application states: "The Society
> is the cctld manager of .nu and is funded by .NU
> Domain Ltd the marketing arm of IUS-N".
>
> Earlier, the ALAC had approved the application for the
> Sudan Internet Society which is the ccTLD manager for
> the .sd domain.
>
> Sorry, but I'm afraid I no longer understand the
> definition of "at-large"... perhaps someone on the
> ALAC can clear up my confusion...
>
> It seems to me that logic would dictate that a ccTLD
> manager would choose to affiliate himself with the
> ccNSO, and that noncommercial organizations would
> choose to join the NCUC.

The State of Niue has 2'156 inhabitants in total. It seems natural to me
that those few who constitute the local Internet community also run the
ccTLD.
I think that in countries where the Internet is still at its embryonic
state of development it is very hard to draw a line between "the users
community" and "the technical community". It would have been much
different if we had received an application from, say, the ccTLD manager
for Italy :-)
--
vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...