[ga] More ALAC Follies

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] More ALAC Follies
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:23:23 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: committee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I see that the ALAC has accepted yet another ccTLD
manager as an At-Large Structure -- the Internet Users
Society Niue.  Their application states:  "The Society
is the cctld manager of .nu and is funded by .NU
Domain Ltd the marketing arm of IUS-N".

Earlier, the ALAC had approved the application for the
Sudan Internet Society which is the ccTLD manager for
the .sd domain.

Sorry, but I'm afraid I no longer understand the
definition of "at-large"... perhaps someone on the
ALAC can clear up my confusion...

It seems to me that logic would dictate that a ccTLD
manager would choose to affiliate himself with the
ccNSO, and that noncommercial organizations would
choose to join the NCUC.

...but with the distorted world view being presented
by ALAC, we get these very odd anomalies that just
don't make much sense.

Actually, I'm somewhat surprised the Chuck Gomes
hasn't applied yet for ALS membership status on behalf
of VeriSign in view of the definitions for at-large
now in use by the Committee.

Would the members of the ALAC like me to ask Chuck to
submit an application?  VeriSign probably would fit
nicely into your warped definition of an At-Large
structure.

http://mail.yahoo.com