Re: [ga] Minutes: CS Internet Governance Caucus -- First Meeting

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Minutes: CS Internet Governance Caucus -- First Meeting
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 02:35:30 -0800
  • Cc: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, essential ecom <ecommerce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, "vinton g. cerf" <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

It is not only interesting to read and hear the *Talk* of such openness
in participation much as ICANN originally did, and than to find out
that in or at the end of such meetings the actual action is discussion
as
to whom and how to restrict/censor participation in same.

It is not just ego's at play here but moral and ethical conviction.
Either you have it and demonstrate same, or you don't...

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    Danny,
>
>   It is interesting here that a good deal of energy is spent talking
> about users having a right to participation but then near the end of
> the meeting they talk about excluding people from their lists and
> participation in their group.
>   "Egos are the destruction of so many good ideas"
>
> Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   CS Internet Governance Caucus- WSIS phase II meeting:
> (More or Less) Official Minutes
>

> (First meeting of Two) Thursday November 17: 230pm, CS
> meeting room B
>
> -Presentation of Agenda
>

> 1. Results
>
> Hans- It is hard to figure out the way forward, we
> need to digest what has just happened
>
> Derrick- Moving with some speed, we don't have time to
> take a break. Engage as quickly as possible.
>
> Hans- ICANN has become a much more secure organization
> than it was 48 hrs ago, the govs made a collective
> decession.
>
> Luca- Do we define the cacus define itself first or
> wait to see what the forum is and then adapt to that.
>
> POO (Jeanatte)- We have 2 meetings and I don't expect
> us to have a final solution of the forum, these
> meetings are a basis of future discussions.
>
> Milton- ICANN has survived but not been endorsed. It
> is impossible to declare that ICANN does only
> day-to-day and not public policy. Also, US control of
> the root. Also, it is unclear what happens with names
> and numbers. All we know is that there will be no new
> organization and there will be forum. Otherwise it is
> quite muddled.
>
> Ronda- There is wording about CCLTDs in the document,
> as I understand it, ICANN still makes decisions about
> who controls CCTLDs, the wording on this is not clear.
> The weakness of the cacus and the document is that
> there is no mention about the online community
> feedback. It is not just a document but a process, the
> process has a lot of countries objecting to what the
> US is doing.
>
> Andres- the forum points away from ICANN and to
> something new.
>
> Adam- Associates with Milton's point, if we don't see
> a shift. The govs are not going away.
>
> Avri- The forum vs. prinicipals. They are defiantly
> separate. Fuzzy, but defiantly separate. I actually
> think that the document on a slipperly slop. The forum
> will keep the pressure on the US. As long as ICANN as
> started to do the GAC reforms it is a slipperly slop.
> In terms of the forum and the slippery sloop I am
> enthusiastic. In terms of unfettered checks on
> enforcement of cybercrime etc, it is a disaster.
>
> Jeanettte- 2 isssues important. Forum, and oversight.
> My concern was that the US would accept the forum at
> the cost of not putting in a word about oversight. IT
> has started a process and the forum.
>
> Lucha- 2 things missing- root zone and no oversight.
> We should
> concentre on a strategy on what the UNSG should do.

> [...]

   Abraham Lincoln

ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827