Re: [ga] The .Pro Fiasco and ccTLDs

  • To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] The .Pro Fiasco and ccTLDs
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:04:25 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: twomey@xxxxxxxxx, Tim Cole <cole@xxxxxxxxx>, "vinton g. cerf" <vinton.g.cerf@xxxxxxx>, "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In fact what Richard has laid out so well is not unspeakable. It clearly reminds us of dotLA and dotWS. And in fact dotNET and dotORG. I suppose what we have to ask is, "is it sustainable?". But in order to get there first we must go through a littany of apriori or foundational questions bordering closer to "is it right?".

CONTRACT; It would appear that there is/was a contractual obligation that this venue be reserved for us professionals. (mine of course with due apologies is California State Bar No. 112873, Ca. Trial Lawyers No. 65169, Order of St. Lukes - Ooops Ministers were not included in the criteria) Was it really reserved for us and was the process reserving it for me and my kind really legitmate? Ouch! but I think not. I think that clearly there were escape clauses built in that allowed for chicanery. As it should be since Malta. But was this the intent of the parties? I am good with that if it were. But perhaps it would have been more honest to say so up front. I hear no trial lawyer screaming fraud, in fact I see no lawyers' sites being switched off, as it were, to migrate to dotPRO. So who complains? Certainly no TPBs.

DETRIMENTAL RELIANCE; Charities and Churches were left out of the mix so here there seems no right to complain.

SECURITY, RELIABILITY and ACCESSABILITY; Well there are some problems here as these "professionals" do have a priviledge problem. With things like sex-dating being corralled to sell here, I doubt that security will long be sustainable.

MONEY; perhaps it is alright to break social and legal contracts and defend a position in court in obedience to a money factor. Perhaps it is just business. A calulatable cost of doing business, I know that even a simple man can do the math calculations and come up with a plus in the black column

But most of all is this a sustainable business model. The answer seems to be yes. A little hype and marketing and managing economies of scale and then a reduction in work force after the intial landrush and you have no great profit margin but sustainable status quo.

So I would suggest you leave dotPRO alone. Wink at each other and ignore promises or contractual or social obligations and just let the rental space exist. I do not think anyone even cares if someone fleeces these "pros". On that note: I had to pay dues to be a "pro skier" USSA, and dues to ride horses for a living "NPRA" and some such thing to save lives as a wilderness EMT, and with a different group of life savers "the International Order of Saint Lukes" but somehow we were excluded from the professionals. I wonder how Chiropractors feel and Dentists, and Engineers and Bookkeepers and Paralegals, not to mention Nurses and PAs and NBA and NFL and on and on. The folly has come home to roost.

But I would like to know in an open and transparent manner who got paid for this fiasco. Why is there no integrity?

Dr. Dierker