Re: [ga] .Pro and the dilution of its professional credentials

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] .Pro and the dilution of its professional credentials
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:39:35 -0000
  • Cc: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, "Tim Cole" <cole@xxxxxxxxx>, "vinton g. cerf" <vinton.g.cerf@xxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thomas Barrett of EnCirca has assured ICANN that "EnCirca is registering .pro domain names in full compliance of ICANN and RegistryPro policies. Specifically, all registrants of resolving .pro domains have been authenticated as having valid professional credentials by RegistryPro."

That being the case, can RegistryPro confirm that they have authenticated the registrant of http://www.pussy.pro (registered through EnCirca on 3rd March) and checked his/her membership of a professional organisation in Sweden (or at least that's where the registrant lives) - namely Jimmy Persson (of ICANN-accredited registrar Domaininfo)... whose email address in the .Pro whois is: jimmy@xxxxxxx but whose website appears to be here: http://jimmy.webb.se ... click here and you arrive at another ICANN Domain Registrar. What I can't work out is where this links either (a) to a professional in membership sanctioned by RegistryPro; or (b) what possible relevance Pussy.pro has to any profession whatsoever.

Has www.pussy.pro been "authenticated as having valid professional credentials by RegistryPro"?

Is www.pussy.pro really what the .Pro registry was set up to create? A sex-word being used to attract internet traffic.

Unless the appropriate authentication has taken place, then either EnCirca or RegistryPro have opened up their processes in contravention of ICANN policies (or in complicity).

I notice that this Jimmy Persson has also registered http://www.clan.pro and has a subdomain http://jimmy.clan.pro and there you can download Jimmy's CV which indeed confirms he works for ICANN-accredited registrar Domaininfo: "Innan dess jobbade jag tre år med fast anställning på Domaininfo AB som är ett av Europas största domännamnsföretag. Domaininfo registrerar domännamn i alla världens toppdomäner och är ensamma i Sverige om att vara ackrediterade av ICANN för att administrera dom generiska toppdomänerna" ...

OR try here, to see Jimmy's links and involvements in the Domain Name industry: http://www.jimmy.info/links.aspx

I wasn't aware that being a Domain Registrar was one of the professions that were included if you wanted a .pro domain?

Turning to Michael Silver (who seems to have registered about 200 pay-per-click names in .pro) what possible relevance to "professional" status can his domain http://www.cunt.pro have? (registered by EnCirca)

Or Jeffrey Yan of China's http://www.fuck.pro (also registered, on 2nd March) by EnCirca.

Or Chih Yuan Wu of Taiwan's http://www.bdsm.pro domain (also registered by EnCirca, on 11th March). Don't tell me .pro was set up for professional dominatrixes? And don't try to tell me that RegistryPro have authenticated this Taiwanese person's bdsm credentials?

The examples I have cited are just the tip of the iceberg. What we seem to have (and I stand to be corrected if proved wrong) is yet another example of a Registry abusing its ICANN Registry Agreement.

Tim Cole, please could you comment? And any comments from RegistryPro? or EnCirca?

Yrs,

Richard Henderson