Re: [ga] .us Policy Council

  • To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] .us Policy Council
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 01:47:19 -0800
  • Cc: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Richard and all former DNSO GA members or other interestes
stakeholders/users,

  Well Richard, in the USA, we have a fairly new broadly encompassing
law enforcement tool put into effect sense 9/11 called the Patriot Act.
As such and to many Americans chagrin, due process has been all
but eliminated.  Reasonable suspicion no longer exists.  You government
cooperates if certain sections of our Patriot Act are relevant to a UK
citizen.  Hence, your privacy can be revoked without you even knowing
about it including any Domain Name registration information is with
Nominet
and you will likely not be advised of such in advance and aren't even
suspected
of criminal activity.  Such is the world today.

  However some in the ACLU and in other privacy advocate organizations
including mine [ which has taken Privacy Interpersonal security on as
one of
several areas of enhance concern and interest ] and , are very much
against
some intrusive sections in the Patriot Act.

  Perhaps you should organize some of your fellow brits to take a bigger

bite out or terrorism as well as seek to gain more control of your own
privacy and security as individuals?

>    Here in the UK with .uk you have to give a registrant name (either
> individual or company) but you can request that all contact details
> are withheld from publication. If you're doing something bad through
> your website the law can be invoked to obtain the contact information
> from Nominet (the registry).
>
> Seems simple enough.
>
> As someone who has been stalked in the past, and the unnerving impact
> that has on your own life and your family's, not to mention personal
> safety, I personally take the view that the NTIA / DOC decision is
> over the top and intrusive. Nobody needs to know my address, unless I
> choose to share it with them, or I have done something wrong. But I
> can understand why a registry may reserve the right to store the info
> securely if I want the right to a domain name registered through them.
>
> Thankfully, the stalker issue has been dealt with completely, and I
> don't have too many worries about sharing my contact info as a rule.
> However, we should respect other people's right to, or need of,
> privacy.
>
> Government should back off.
>
> Richard H

    Pierre Abelard