Re: [ga] Escrow Concerns

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Escrow Concerns
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 20:27:31 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: Bill Nichols <Bnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mike@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Step back Jack and look,

Sometimes it is well to attack the personage of the message. Other times it is good to evaluate the behavior of the messenger. And sometimes it is appropriate to stand back and praise a good man for good work.

What does Karl have to gain here? Nada, nothing. Yet he cares without ego.
So I trust his wisdom and support his well reasoned suggestion.

Archiving and preservation is best done without mandate and regulation, but with synergism of modalities. It is a common good that does no harm and should be adaptable to industry standard adopted and not thrust upon us. As with renovation and allocation it should simply be done and not debated.

However we all have a say in how it should be done ;-}

Eric

Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Danny Younger wrote:

> I'd like switch the discussion away from ICANN politics for a moment to
> raise an at-large issue that has been on my mind for some time: the
> risk My thanks to Joop and to Bill Nichols for the timely reminder to
> avoid flaming on this list. to registrants posed by the failure of
> registrars to escrow data.

The status from when I was on the board was this:

- Some inadequate formats had been defined.
- Nobody had bothered to put 'em into play.

The real issue is preservation of registry/registrar business records, in
particular the records needed to reconstruct the registry/registrar.

This can be handled by escrow ... or by other mechanisms that I believe
will do the same job with less pain to all concerned and with less
intrusive regulation.

The mechanism I tend to prefer is to leave the job up to each
registry/registrar and have them deliver to ICANN (and to publish to the
community) a yearly statement from an independent auditor (one with
appropriate expertise) to the effect that the registry/registrar engages
in business asset protection policies that are adequate to the
reconstruction of the operations after a disaster or financial failure by
the registry/registrar or a sucessor.

This audit letter would have to specify not only that are the assets
protected by adequate practices but also that there is a sufficient body
of documentation and tools, all of which need to be held by a known third
party, to recover using no other specialized knowledge, tools, or special
hardware (e.g. weirdball tape drives.)

This mechanism takes ICANN out of the preservation loop, allows
registries/registrars to tailor the preservation practices to their own
needs, allows those practices to evolve (and improve) over time, and let's
the public know who is doing well in this regard and who is not.

--karl--

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!