Re: [ga] Priority

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Priority
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 15:25:59 -0800 (PST)
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I tend to lean in this direction. The logic goes; the less money and capacity ICANN has to meddle with the individual the more freedoms that individual has. Assuming that individual now has viable choices she becomes able to voice her opines in the market by allowing her wallet to vote for her. ( Perhaps if XYZ now operates dotNET and ABC operates dotCOM we will forget about networks and commercial and pick our registrars based on competition) Here we find representation of the individual by choice in the marketplace.
So if the Dysons want better rights for the individual and we assume the DoC remains Lazy Fair, we have a de facto individual representative body and we voted for open markets.
{the only problem is we have tried this with badguy dictators through using embargoes to dry up the revenues that keep them in power - I am trying to think of when that worked, perhaps the American Civil war to an extent, certainly not with Sadam - did it work in Berlin? - maybe back to the ethereal drawing board.}

Eric

"Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'd say budget control. Give ICANN an unlimited growth in its budget
and you have unlimited mischief.

Bring the budget back down to c. $7m, and even without a users' bill of
rights, there's only so much harm it can do.

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Hugh Dierker wrote:

> I find this post by Dyson telling regarding where priorities lie.
> For me the priority is individual representation.
> For Dyson, an American, it is the independence from the US gov.
> http://forum.icann.org/mail-archive/alac/msg00909.html
>
>> From what I have witnessed the DoC and the rest of US gov have left ICANN completely alone with only fact finding monitoring going on. From what I have witnesses ICANN through ALAC has completeley left the individual out.
>
> What are your priorities?
> (doesn't my header look like a spam?;-}