Re: [ga] New mailing list: icann-people.

  • To: "Thomas Roessler" <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] New mailing list: icann-people.
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 23:01:42 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've got a better idea Thomas:

Why not create a register of ordinary internet users, then allow individuals
to stand for six posts as Directors on the Board at ICANN? At the same time
as democracy - as opposed to autocracy and censorship - is introduced, do
not be surprised if ICANN's mailing lists come alive with thousands of
participants, as ordinary people suddenly believe that they have a *real*
involvement in process, and a democratic means of getting their voices
heard.

Simultaneously scrap ALAC because it is a top-down creation of ICANN
autocrats, who exclude democracy and real dialogue from their processes. It
will no longer be needed because there will then be a *real* At Large at the
heart of ICANN, based on individuals not selected orgs, and true
representatives elected by individuals, and individuals who know they can
express their views without fear of censorship and exclusion.

Oh... just one hitch... my proposal has already been rejected by ICANN...
when they expelled the democratically elected representatives of the At
Large from their Board... and opted for autocracy instead of democratic
involvement...

ALAC was an exercise in damage-limitation, to try to cover up the coup which
expelled the very PEOPLE that real PEOPLE wanted at the heart of ICANN and
net governance.

Why is ICANN (and its apologists) so afraid of real PEOPLE?

Why the obsession for top-down control?

Why is democracy rejected?

It feels more and more like Germany 1930's (and they were creeps, weren't
they?)

Do you not understand that openness and democracy are the lifeblood of
community, and that ICANN will only truely become representative when it
allows representation?

But that's the whole point. USG wants to retain control of the Net.
Therefore ICANN is created and used as the agent to that end. Therefore
ICANN must be controlled from within and from top-down. Therefore democracy
and true representation are a total threat to USG and ICANN.

Of course, if I sent this post to your newly created "People's Mailing List"
it would be rejected, Thomas, but that doesn't change the fact that it is
true.

Yours sincerely,

Richard Henderson