Re: [ga] New mailing list: icann-people.

  • To: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] New mailing list: icann-people.
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 06:29:43 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think this is a very nice gesture and hope the list has all the success in the world.
I certainly hope it does not become moribound - http://www.icannwatch.org/articles/04/08/13/2118216.shtml

I offer Mr. Roessler some simple suggestions on getting his list off to a great start.
1. Do as much as you can to assure views only in line with your own are heard.
2. Maintain complete control of the list all by yourself.
3. Quickly ban any posters that you do not like personally.
4. Make sure the list is completely, out of ICANN so they do not watch it.
5. Do absolutely no outreach that could attract non-professional engineers and such.
6. Promise people a position with ALAC, Task Forces and committees to say things you would like to here.

Oh shoot I see you already know all this from experience and the textbook on "autocracy" you co-authored. As with all your lists, I am a big fan, under an alias I will watch and learn.

Eric

Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Folks,

I feel that the ICANN community is currently lacking a place for
reasonable online discussion -- all there is is icannwatch and a
couple of blogs; the GA list seems mostly dead. As an experiment,
I've set up a moderated mailing list named icann-people; please join
at .

I'll run the list the autocratic way: No message is distributed
unless I, personally, believe it is appropriate, and reasonably
relevant to the ICANN community. I'm specifically *not* doing this
wearing *any* hat but "too long-time ICANN participant."

When (if?) enough people have come together, I'll send an initial
posting to let subscribers know.

(As I said, this is an experiment. It may quite well fail.)
--
Thomas Roessler