[ga] Standards

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Standards
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 07:08:41 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Over the past 30 or so years I have had the pleasure and sometimes consternation with becoming intimately familiar with organizations that set standards. As a journeyman carpenter I had to refer to an organizations book to assure just how much distance could be between rafters in a home a family now lives in. I always note with interest the white and black tags on the cords of electrical devices. I have spent hours reading requirements for acceptance into a group that is a qualifier for developing nations to get into the big money game.
As a wet trial lawyer Melvin Belli told me only to look so far as industry standards and you will find liability or security. Is the shopkeeper a member of the BBB. Is my doctor active in the AMA.
These concepts are usually not noted by the populace but are well known by those in the know of an industry. Bank loans, car loans, education, mattress tag police, are all beneficiaries of these standards setting associations/organizations/groups.
I must say that I have never heard that ICANN has achieved such a lofty status. Has anyone ever looked to see if something is certified or qualified or approved by ICANN before making a purchase. I think not.
So while the concept of taking away monopolistic behavior seems to most to be good for service and price it really is the ultimate of standards that is the largest reward when competition is allowed to flourish. Industry must look to and agree to something which keep trust and integrity at its' highest. Consumer confidence takes a leap forward and economies are bridled and held to a path which prevents bubbles, chaos and yes injuries both financial and physical.
Trust and integrity must first be established within the standards setting organization. And then power must be given. Not a power bequethed put a power earned. A power which opens and closes the floodgates of money.
Here is an area in which ICANN could and should flourish. Keeping in mind that confidence and trust are just as much a function of perception as they are a result of integrity, it would seem wise for ICANN to clean house and market itself as the look to group for Ineternet Standards.

Sincerely,
Eric