[ga] Quasi-Government/ICANN

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Quasi-Government/ICANN
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 07:45:26 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ICANN Gen. Council" <general-counsel@xxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, Don Evans <DEvans@xxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Open letter,

I write here as the Honorary Chairman of the Business Advisory Council of California.

Those of us regularly involved in business both large and small, have found repeatedly over time that industries do best when they self regulate themselves in a socio-economically responsible manner. When what we should innately know as the confines or ethical business are adopted and practiced by the women and men in business. This truth crosses all geographic and geopolitical lines and indeed is a solid truth that crosses all multicultural and linguistic boundaries and is our one truly common language of business. We have found that if we place what is good for the industry above what is good for immediate financial gain for one we prosper with a firm foundation and not a bubble or a crack soon to become a fissure.

We agree that there is a proper and irresistable role of governance in our affairs. We agree to abide by the rule of law and suffer consequences for violation of duly enacted regulatory schematics that maintain order, safety and security. We agree to render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasars'. We who are dependent upon the will of the people in the marketplace give just due to the will of the people through representation in governmental affairs.

We whole heartedly accept that at certain times and in certain conditions our political leaders must cede some authority and ministerial tasking and production through contract with our competitors in order to accomplish appropriate mandates. However we must insist on strict compliance with the letter of our laws when essential matters effecting the people are allowed to be placed in the hands of private enterprizes.

Especially when a government contractor who operates under the priviledge of not for profit status and can compete and regulate others in the industry not only locally but interstate and internationally we must insist on strict compliance not only with laws but with principles. Clearly this strict compliance has not been forthcoming from ICANN. MOUs and Contracts must not only strictly comply but both parties must have their own house in order and be organized and operated in the manner and exactitude required to be in good standing.

Not once has the Federal Government stepped in and questioned or enforced compliance by ICANN. Not once has it audited either business, tax, civil rights, Davis Bacon, Anti-Trust or International Treaty or security matters to determine compliance. Rights, duties and responsibilites all go hand in hand. It would appear that the DoC maintains its' rights here but not its' duties or responsibilities.

Sincerely,
Dr. Eric Hugh Dierker